Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Tornado in Dexter

On Thursday, a tornado touched down in the community where I teach. I live in a neighboring community, where we only experienced minor flooding and power outages. The landscape in Dexter (the "village" where I teach), has been changed forever. The reality of the damage in Dexter is just as horrifying as the pictures on the news appear. The miracle is still clear - no one was killed or seriously injured.

In the past two days, the people of Dexter (and the surrounding areas) have come out in mass numbers to support those in need. On a regular day, Dexter is the model of a small community with amazing citizens. It is filled with people who watch out for each other and care about their community. In the midst of a shocking disaster, the strength of this little village is beyond belief. On Monday, we will return to school and attempt to provide sufficient counseling and a sense of normalcy for our little ones. Families will start to rebuild and we will take every opportunity we can to hug our little ones.

If you are a praying person, please pray for the families in Dexter. Today I am reminded to appreciate each moment with my family, my friends and my students. Life can change so quickly.

13 comments:

  1. We watched on the news as they reported, and couldn't believe it, my husband is originally from Chelsae. Prayers are going up for everyone in the community, no doubt a miracle already provided in keeping everyone safe as the tornado touched down!!
    Amy
    The Resource(ful) Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a praying person and I will definitely pray for the people in Dexter!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely praying for your community!

    Kathy
    First Grade a la Carte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hugs and many prayers for my fellow Michiganders. So scary to have an F3 come through your two....so unusual for this area. Let us know if you or any other teachers/families need anything. You're just a hop, skip and a jump from me.

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the people of Dexter. I am also a Michigan blogger. I visit your area often during cross country season, and have always loved the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be keeping the teachers and families of Dexter in my prayers.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH mY!! Prayer and thoughts sent your way!!

    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kimberly, I am giving you a beautiful blog award and a top ten blog award! Your blog is very cute and offers a lot to help us fellow teachers get better at what we do! I hope you'll jump over to my blog and pick up these awards. Then you can pass them along to some of your friends, too!
    Patty
    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers going up!! I hate the weather that's been going on the past couple weeks!!

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers are being sent to the the families in Dexter!!
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending lots of prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending prayers your way from Minot, North Dakota! Be strong Dexter! It will take time to recover! Give those kiddos lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete